request for reading literature.

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 31 13:48:46 UTC 1998

<<<
I dimly recall that someone had reported a Tamil inscription from New
Zealand, but I don't have the reference here, nor can I say whether the
identification is correct. And there is the hypothesis of a relationship
between Dravidian and Japanese. When I first heard this on NHK (the
Japanese shortwave radio) and mentioned it to Zvelebil, he was utterly
skeptical (he presumed it was just another kookie theory), but several
years down the road, in that book from Pondicherry, he has devoted a
short chapter to the matter. But all this is still in a hypothetical
stage.

   I have to check my collection of papers: In New Zealand,
   it is a big bell, inscribed in Tamil.

   Well, I think of Susumu Ono's works; P. Pelliot
   wrote in early 1900s an article on the realtions between
   Tamil and Japanese alphabetical order. Some have
   shown the similarities between Maanyoshu and Sangam poetry.

   Regards,
   N. Ganesan