Early Giithaa sculptures

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Wed Dec 30 18:32:21 UTC 1998

Robert Zydenbos wrote:

> Narayan S. Raja wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Robert Zydenbos wrote:
> >
> > > Eastern Peoples_), the attitude that says we should pick up an old text,
> > > ardently believe in it and construct the whole of history on that text
> > > is not exclusively Hindu. But percentagewise, it seems more a Hindu
> >                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > problem today than, e.g., a Muslim or Christian one.
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > I'd be interested to know why you make
> > this observation, because it is the
> > exact opposite of my experience.  In
> > fact, the Western controversies over
> > evolution, the age of the universe,
> > the non-specialness of human beings,
> > abortion, contraception, etc. are
> > simply not found among Hindus.
>
> Right here, on the Indology List, and in this thread, there was a list
> member who claimed that the Bhagavadgiitaa was written at the beginning
> of the Kaliyuga.

But that's certainly not the view of the scholars embraced by the
Hindutva crowd.  If they took the literal view, as do Biblical
literalists, then they would have to believe that the metal ages were
millions of years before current estimates and that astronomy was
invented by an Asura at the beginning of Kaliyug.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala