Indian Gemmology

Klaus Karttunen Kjkarttu at ELO.HELSINKI.FI
Mon Dec 21 12:17:30 UTC 1998

On 20 Dec 98 at 8:41, riccardo garbini wrote:

> Date sent:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 08:41:49 +0100
> Send reply to:  Indology <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
> From:           riccardo garbini <riccardo.garbini at IOL.IT>
> Subject:        Indian Gemmology
> To:             INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK

> Dear Scholars,
> I'm going to study Indian treatises on Gemmology, and with this aim I have
> already collected some basilar books edited in the last century by western
> scholars. Moreover, I got also several articles on the subject published on
> the Indian Journal of History of Science. Would anyone suggest other books
> or articles on this subject? Many thanks in advance. Riccardo Garbini.
>
> sincerely yours,riccardo

I suppose, you know Garbe's and Finot's editions. In around 1900-1920
B. Laufer wrote several monographs on gems (and other articles of
ancient international trade) using Chinese, Greek and Latin, Indian
and Arabic sources.
My book, K. Karttunen, India and the Hellenistic world, Helsinki 1997
contains some further references and discusses the stones from the
viewpoint of Greek and Latin literature (p. 233-252). See also G.
Wojtilla, Indian precious stones in the ancient East and
West, Acta Orientalia 27, Budapest 1973, 211-224.