AW: 'Siva and Avalokitezvara

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 16 21:04:52 UTC 1998

How do we link the following to Brahman?
May be it can be done. How?

Is the concept of Avalokitezvara formulated
in the South? Then, Avalokita iizvara would make sense.

If it is from the Northwest, then Avalokita-svara.

We have only one instance of avalokitasvara
and many avalokita-iizvara in manuscripts.

For now, I am wondering whether avalokita-iizvara
is completely debunked? But Mallmann, L. Chandra,
Prof. G. v. Simson, ... avalokita-svara looks
plaasible.

But if avalokitezvara was formulated in the
South (Nagarjuna's Suhrllekha, Lotus sutra
are the earliest occurences of Avalokitezvara),
I wonder whether avalokita-iizvara is completely
later?

Just a thought.

Regards,
N. Ganesan

Avalokita Izvara could mean "The Lord of the Percieved (World)" The
unpercieved or unpercievable
in that case would be nirvANa. Note that Avalokitezvara is also often
called Lokezvara, where loka
can mean world. All the lokas as parts of saMsAra are percievable for
beeings having some kind
of senses and 'kaya'. As bodhisattvas are enlightened beeings that
renounce to nirvANa and stay in
 saMsAra, Avalokitezvara would be the Izvara of all but nirvANa.

best regards
T. Kovacs