KaaraNDavyUha

Georg von Simson g.v.simson at EAST.UIO.NO
Tue Dec 15 09:09:37 UTC 1998

N. Ganesan wrote:
>Let us see what an authority on Mahayana Buddhism
>has to say on 'siva-avalokita acoonexions.
>
>Lokesh Chandra,1979, ODDiyAna: a new interpretation says:
>"the acculturation of 'Siva into Buddhist tradition
>may have takenplace in South India and thence it was
>transmitted to Indonesia where 'Siva-Buddha
>syncretism was deeply entrenched."
>
>Avalokita is enshrined in Borabudur.
>
>Regards,
>N. Ganesan

It's funny that we both refer to Lokesh Chandra (see my last message). It
seems that the common features of Shiva and Avalokiteshvara are due to that
process of "acculturation of 'Siva into Buddhist tradition" L. Ch. mentions
in your quotation whereas Avalokiteshvara's origin points into a different
direction.

Regards,
G.v.Simson