Om mani padme hum (was: Karandavyuha)

Rolf Koch roheko at T-ONLINE.DE
Mon Dec 14 11:45:41 UTC 1998

In regards to the difference between mantra and vidyA I came across the
following AryA stanza in the Avazyaka-niryukti vs. 931 (according to the
version of the Niryukti as cited by the commentator Haribhadra):
itthi vijjA-abhihiyA
puriso mantu tti tav-viseso-ayaM
vijjA sa-sAhaNA vA
sAhaNa-rahio a mantu tti
"vidyA is feminine,
mantra is masculine, that is the difference between both of them.
vidyA is done with or without sAdhana
and mantra is done without sAdhana"