SV: Vicious Debate

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Dec 5 13:29:59 UTC 1998

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Robert J. Zydenbos wrote:

> Complete Works vol. 7, p. 283). Of course it is ridiculous to admire
> Americans or whatever people totally and indiscriminately (thus
> S.N. Subrahmanya, Bijoy Misra a.o. have seen that I refuse to admire
> uncritically each and every thing that comes from India and claims to be
> "Indian"). That Vivekananda said nice things about America does not mean
> that he did not have some nasty ideas as well. A balanced, unbiassed,

I do not know Dr. RJZ personally.  His various postings have
been cotroversial and the views are partisan.  I always
thought partisan views had no place in a discussion group
like this.  Putting Vivekananda's prceived racism is no academic
research, in my opinion..  Those are in politics and religion which
have their own forums for debate.

Noboby should accept anything because it has an origin.
Hence, why should we accept all that simply came from India?
At the same time, to look down on Indian scholarship and
India's contributions is individual's choice and is not
a scholarly pursuit.

Let me say that it is disturbing to see the strong partisan
current of the exchanges in this list.  I sincerely hope
that all join in objective Indologic research without any
religious or nationalistic bias.  Let's try..

- Bijoy Misra