On avoiding attachments

Das Devaraj das at NETCOM.COM
Wed Dec 2 05:40:49 UTC 1998

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Jacob Baltuch wrote:

> Since this seems to be a particularly tough nut to crack
> maybe someone who's had to deal with such problems before
> can volunteer some help to Lars?

Not necessarily a step by step solution to that particular problem,
but a more general answer.

- Get a "shell" account with your ISP.  Then use the free
  software program "pine" a program developed by University of
  Washington.  This email is composed using the above setup.
  Advantages: Even an ancient computer with a modem will do.
  Also, you do not have to download the mail to your PC.

  Till this year, I have used a fully loaded "286 PC" to read
  mail, off and on!  (used to get 500+ emails most days)
  PINE is a very simple program to use. (there is also a PC pine)

- May be you are into fancy graphics and run MS products (95/NT/DOS)
  or Macintosh
  Install "Pegasus mail" a free, incredibly powerful and easy to
  use mailer.  See http://pmail.usa.com  All the above platforms
  and more supported.  In addition to English, is available
  (supposedly) in Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German,
  Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Swedish - no Sanskrit, so far

- Use the email program that comes with Netscape Navigator.
  (also freely(?) available)

  If you don't fall into any of these categories - well, you can
  move into one of these categories.  If you use anything else,
  make sure that the program (at least basically) understands and
  complies with RFC822 (Internet standard for emails).

das