Urdu speakers

Samar Abbas abbas at IOPB.RES.IN
Tue Dec 1 18:08:23 UTC 1998

  The number of Urdu speakers in Bengal is a controversial topic; the
govt. of Pakistan did not recognize the Bengali language as being spoken
by Muslims and officially declared that all `East Pakistanis' spoke Urdu.
Subsequently after independance the govt. of Bangladesh only recognized
Bengali (the converted Hindus took over with the help of the Indian
govt.), and declared that only a few thousand persons spoke Urdu or
Hindustani. Both the views are wholly biased, although several `censuses'
have data supporting one view or the other.

  The best unbiased censuses were made by the British. Sir H.H.Risley in
his book, `The People of India' states that the number of `Foreign
Immigrant Mussulmans' in Bengal was estimated to be half of the total
Muslim population by the British Indian Census. These are all
Urdu speakers. I think this is a good compromise between the two extremes;
thus I would say about half of the Bengali Muslims speak the eastern
dialect of Hindustani ( I think it is called Sharqi but am not sure),
while the other half (the converts) speak Bengali.

 Otherwise some figures are given at the Ethnologue database at
http://www.sil.org/ethnologue but the estimate of 50-50 Urdu-Bengali is
still the best.

Samar