human sacrifice and death penalty

Martin Gansten mgansten at SBBS.SE
Tue Apr 28 07:42:32 UTC 1998

George Cronk wrote:

>I do think that there is something to be said for the retributive theory of
>punishment.  Is that approach so scantily supported in Indian thought as to
>be beneath contempt and to place retributivists in a category that DESERVES
>NO consideration?

As far as I can see, retribution is precisely the idea behind Manu's stating
that criminals are purified (absolved) by being punished, and thus a very
basic Hindu (or Brahminical, Lars, if you insist) concept. For a modern
defense of the retributive view, see C.S. Lewis' article "The Humanitarian
Theory of Punishment" (1949). Several good points there.

Martin Gansten