navagraha worshipped as deities

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Apr 14 21:42:43 UTC 1998

At 05:37 PM 4/14/98 -0400, you wrote:

>The "literal" connection between many of the mantras given above
>and the corresponding graha is not clear... perhaps not surprising...
>but that these mantras are used in traditional Navagraha pUja/homa
>is very much a fact.

The position I think is that if one does not find a mantra for
particular deity, use the mantra in which a word corresponding to
the name of the deity occurs.

In the Hindu pantheon there are deities who are later additions.
One cannot hope to find mantras corresponding to them in the veda.
Either you have to write the mantras or assign them mantras by the
above method.

e.g.,

budha - udbudhya
          ^^^^
angAraka - agnirmUrdhA
           ^^^^

I do not know how they fix a particular m mantra when there are
anumber mantras containing the required word.

regards,

sarma.