muttusvAmi dIkshitar (was Re: navagraha worship ...)

Fri Apr 10 01:16:13 UTC 1998

S Krishna <mahadevasiva at HOTMAIL.COM> writes:

>prItiyuktamacchittam vilayatu". From what I've heard and read, the word
>"vilayatu" can translate as "embrace" or "clasp"..In otherwords,
>if "vilayatu" is a yamakAlaGkAra in that it is meaningful when taken
> in conjuction with the previous words and also when taken all by
>itself, we have a situation where Dikshitar says "vilayatu [mAm
>implicit]" followed by the four qualifiers of kamalAmbA which would
then
>have to be in the sambodhana prathamA resulting in i-kAram.

If so, shouldn't the prathamA be more apt than the sambodhana? kA
vilayatu? brahmamaya prakASinI vilayatu, etc. In the previous sentence,
the quesion is kim vilayatu, and the answer is maccittam vilayatu.

>FRom what I have read, the kAmAkSi temple to which zyAma zAstri's
>ancestors were attached to a temple in the modern kurnool dist of
>Andhra, from where they escaped to tanjAvUr because of muslim
>persecution. The  family diety, bangAru kAmakSi was then installed in
>the tanjAvur district itself. It is also difficult to think that zyAma
>zAstri'd relatives would have settled down in kAncipuram ( very close
>Arcot) when they were fleeing muslim persecution because the Nawabs of
>Arcot also had a reputation for Hindu-baiting. Prof Paul Younger (
>"Temple of the dancing Sivan") mentions this as the reason for the
>dIkSitars of cidambaram shifting the mUla vigraha of the cidambaram
>temple in the 17th-18th centuries to tanjAvUr, where there was no
>persecution by the Hindu Bhonsle dynasty.

I've heard that the bangAru kAmAkshI temple was established in Tanjavur
to house a vigraha that was brought from the Kanchipuram temple, not
from Kurnool. Around the end of the 18th century, during the wars of the
British with Tipu Sultan, most temple idols from Kanchipuram were
shifted to Tanjavur via Udayarpalayam. The idols from the ekAmreSa and
varadarAja perumAL temples were also hidden and taken away to
Udayarpalayam, and returned to Kanchipuram later in the 19th century.
There are also some records of the British East India government
partitioning the dharmakartA family rights to the bangAru kAmAkshI
temple in Tanjavur and the original temple in kAncIpuram, between two
branches of the family. In 1842, the management of the Kanchi temple was
transferred to the SAnkara maTha based in Kumbhakonam, which has since
shifted to Kanchipuram. And of course, Syama Sastri's compositions are
themselves full of references to kAmAkshI at Kanchipuram.

Did the Nawabs of Arcot have a great reputation for persecution of
Hindus? I thought they made many donations to Hindu religious
institutions. Those who fled from the Arcot/Kanchi region to Tanjavur
were probably more apprehensive of the outcome of the war with Tipu
Sultan, than about their local ruler's persecution.

Vidyasankar