muttusvAmi dIkshitar

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Thu Apr 9 18:29:20 UTC 1998

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:
[...]
 >muttusvAmi dIkSitar is alright. [...]

Happy to hear this.

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:
>Krishna and Godavari deltas were already in the hands of Vijayanagar
>empire. These are richer than the Kaveri delta.

Later history of Vijayanagara.  Attention is heavily
focussed on Kaveri deltas. NOT Krishna & Godavari deltas.
According to B. Stein summarizing decades of work on Vijayanaga by
100s of historians. (Vijayanagara, Cambridge UP, 1989)

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:
>But what about the unreserved patronage of maharastrian
>kings of TanjAvur for telugu. This you cannot ascribe it to partiality to
>the mother tongue.

Just continuing the courtly idiom established by Nayaks,
more than the Marathis' love for Telugu.
New Marathi chiefs maintain the status quo. For a century
or so, Nayaks gave patronage to Telugu in their courts.
So, the teachers etc. are deeply into Telugu in the court.
For Maratha rulers, their priorities, dangers are elsewhere.
Few children who get trained in Telugu, write in Telugu.

I hardly see Marathis writing Telugu patams/kiirthanams nowadays.

Regards,
N. Ganesan