muttusvAmi dIkshitar (was Re: navagraha worship ...)

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Apr 9 03:40:38 UTC 1998

At 06:01 PM 4/8/98 PDT, S.Krishna wrote:

>I very much doubt this; my experience with the sArvavibhaktitkam style
>is that they rigidly adhere to the rule of prathama followed by dvitIyA,
>go onto tr*tIyA... and end it with "sambOdhana prathamA". The best proof
>I can see of this lies in a poem that was sent to me some time ago by Dr
>Paliath NArendran. This zlOka  authored by Melpattur Narayana Bhattatiri
>starts off as "kr*SNo rakSatu mAm" and illustrates all the vibhakti
>endings of "kr*SNa" and ends with "he kr*SNa! tubhyam nama:" .

Somebody has followed a pattern rigidly does not mean that muddusvAmi
dIkSitar (sorry, but that is his name as given in SSP) is obliged to
follow it. muddusvAmi dIkSitar was breaking many traditions of his time.
He composed mainly in sanskrit when most of the composers including his
father and brothers composed mainly in telugu. He composed many kritis
without anupallavi.

Further sambOdhana at the end for a slOkA comes
naturally and is a matter of convenience. For a kriti it may not be
necessary.

regards,

sarma.