Summer Sanskrit at Chicago

David Magier magier at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Apr 6 19:24:56 UTC 1998

I have been asked to forward the following announcement (on summer
courses on Sanskrit) to your listserv or mailing list. For any
questions or comments, PLEASE CONTACT THE LECTURER DIRECTLY:
he is Lawrence McCrae (ljmccrea at midway.uchicago.edu).

Thank you.
David Magier
SARAI http://www.columbia.edu/cu/libraries/indiv/area/sarai
                ---------------

Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 12:34:21 -0600
To: magier at columbia.edu
From: ljmccrea at midway.uchicago.edu (lawrence mccrea)
Subject: Summer Sanskrit at Chicago

Dear Mr. Magier,

        I am a lecturer in the South Asia department at the University of
Chicago.  We are offering Introductory Sanskrit as a summer course for the
first time this year, and would like to publicize it as widely as possible.
Professor Clinton Seely suggested to me that I send you this information
for forwarding to various South Asia related e-mail lists.  Information on
the course is as follows:

        Introductory Sanskrit 1,2,3 (South Asian Languages and
Civilizations 250, 251, 252).

        9:00am-1:00pm, MWF (June 22-August 28).  Instructor: L. McCrea,
Lecturer, Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations.

        This course sequence fulfills the Common Core language requirement.
The first half of the course sequence is spent mastering the reading and
writing of Devanagari script and studying the grammar of the classical
Sanskrit language.  The remainder of the course sequence is devoted to
close analytical reading of simple Sanskrit texts, which are used to
reinforce the grammatical study done in the first half of the course.  The
aim is to bring students to the point where they are comfortably able, with
the help of a dictionary, to read simple, narrative Sanskrit.

        Those interested in taking the course should contact:

                          The University of Chicago
                          Graham School of General Studies
                          Summer Session Office
                          5835 Kimbark Avenue
                          Chicago, IL 60637
                          (773) 702-6033
                    Email: uc-summer at uchicago.edu

        I would greatly appreciate it if you could post this on any
releveant lists.

                                  Many thanks,
                                         Lawrence McCrea