gender and Grammar

JR Gardner jgardner at BLUE.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU
Fri Apr 3 19:47:39 UTC 1998

I've been looking through our library here at Iowa, also Michigan and
Indiana, as well as the CRLC and RLIN with no success (search string:
k=india and grammar and gender).  I've found a few general overviews (19
hits with search string k=gender and grammar) but these tend to go toward
the socio-political side of male dominant archetypes in society,
oppression of the female, rejection of gaya, all grammar is a form of
misogyny, etc.

In short-- does anyone know of any sanskrit-specific studies of
grammatical gender?  Not so much the technical linguistic side as the
sociolinguistic implications.  I am quite intrigued to find every case of
tanuu' in the RV to be feminine and I'm trying to see what there is to be
learned--if anything--about the relationship of grammatical gender to any
exegetical level of interpretation.  Could it relate to the deities
consorts by indirect implication?

Kind thanks in advance,

jrg
John Robert Gardner      Obermann Center
School of Religion         for Advanced Studies
University of Iowa       University of Iowa
319-335-2164             319-335-4034
http://vedavid.org       http://www.uiowa.edu/~obermann/