Looking for an aussie

Allen Grace A.Grace at MAILBOX.UQ.EDU.AU
Mon Sep 29 05:34:03 UTC 1997

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

> Dear Indology netters,
>
> excuse me for asking a non-indological question, but I am pretty hard up for
> an answer. Could anybody explain the expression "layback" in the following
> sentence:
>
> "Happy hours, discount drinks and irresponsible promotions such as laybacks
> were found to be a prime cause of violence in Australia."

What kind of Australians are these students of yours? I wouldn't normally
presume to post here, but I can tell you straight away that a layback is
the practice of lying back over the bar while someone else pours strong
alcohol directly into the mouth: often tequila is used for this purpose.
Naturally, after just a couple, extreme drunkenness can result. Wahey!

Allen

"You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.
You can put a man in school, but you cannot make him think."

                                        - Ben Harper -