Help Wanted

John Smith jds10 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Sat Sep 20 13:25:13 UTC 1997

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Rahul Arora wrote:

> i am working on a project to convert romanised english to devanagari.we
> have a book of about 800 pages , written in sanskrit, which we have
> translated into romanised english using special characters,from the
> keyboard. we are looking for a way so that we can convert this romanised
> english book to devanagari font without using the keyboard. if anyone
> knows anything about it please help us out.
> thanks

Anshuman Pandey and Dominik Wujastyk have both suggested using (La)TeX,
and I would agree that this is probably the best route to take. For my
money, Velthuis's Devnag package (which is also the basis of the Itrans
system, or was last time I looked) still gives the best output. But it
would be necessary to know more about the form of the text that you have.
If it is a Romanised representation of some sort, it should be easy to
convert, and I might well be able to help. (But with any luck I'll be
leaving for India for a month fairly soon.)

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html