Help Wanted -- Romanised text to Devanagari.

Anshuman Pandey apandey at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Sep 19 23:01:32 UTC 1997

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Rahul Arora wrote:

> i am working on a project to convert romanised english to devanagari.we
> have a book of about 800 pages , written in sanskrit, which we have
> translated into romanised english using special characters,from the
> keyboard. we are looking for a way so that we can convert this romanised
> english book to devanagari font without using the keyboard. if anyone
> knows anything about it please help us out.
> thanks

By "romanised English" do you mean romanisied Devanagari (Devanagari in
Roman script with diacritics)? Your write that you have "translated" this
text using the keyboard. Which program did you use for this task?
Depending upon your input scheme and the format in which the text is
saved, there are a few ways you could produce Devanagari output from what
you currently have.

Depending on what input scheme you used you would probably to convert your
existing transliteration to a different scheme. By doing this you could
set yourself up for running a typesetting program called TeX with one of
three Devanagari packages: Devnag, ITRANS, or Skt.

This seems the most plausible, not to mention efficient, method of
producing Devanagari script output with your text without "using the
keyboard".

Regards,
Anshuman Pandey