Aalim aalam

Naseem Hines sohail at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Sep 19 22:08:09 UTC 1997

It is quite possible that it is the name of a computer software. "Aalim"
means one who knows the sciences and "aalam" means the world. The words
are formed from the three radical consonants ain, laam and miim. Put
together without any vowel or reduplication or jazam the word a(a)l(a)m(a)
means "he
knew", i.e. third person, singular, past perfective. According to the
grammar rules
of the Arabic language, the meaning of this basic form
of the verb will change with change in vowel. As it does, for example, in
your message. Hope this helps.