Paper abstract

Kamal Adhikary kamal at LINK.LANIC.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Sep 17 16:00:24 UTC 1997

Dear colleagues:
	An abstract of the lecture :'LAHORE 1947 - EXPERIENCE OF
PARTITION'  by  Pran Nevile, given on  September 12, 1997 at the Asian
Studies, UT Austin, is given below:

�

�

�

                 LAHORE 1947- EXPERIENCE OF PARTITION

Lahore, the gateway to the Indian sub-continent, had through the centuries
attracted trade caravans, plundering hordes and conquerors in search of
wealth and power. A city ruled by Hindu kings, Mughal emperors and Sikh
monarchs finally came under the British rule in 1849. British Raj brought
in its wake an era of unprecedented peace and prosperity.

The city acquired the reputation of the Paris of the East. People of
different communities lived in perfect harmony. The interplay of
historical forces had made the Muslims of Punjab less fanatic and the
Hindus and Sikhs less orthodox and ritual conscious than elsewhere in
India. Three communities subscribed to a composite Punjabi culture. In
the words of Dr.Prem Kirpal, a leading educationist:

�

                       Old Lahore was gay and youthful,

                            moving easily with times,

                        earning well and spending more,

                       receiving joy and shunning gloom

                                       �

                         Warm-hearted and vital people

                         of diverse faiths and traditions,

                           united in confident resolve

                        to enjoy life and reach its peaks.

�

>From 1920s the political scene in the Punjab was dominated by the
Unionist Party with its ideology of inter-communal harmony and loyalty to
the Raj. The Party stood outside the mainstream of either nationalism or
Muslim separation but it was overtaken by the political developments in
the rest of India which finally led to its collapse in 1946. The Muslim
League with its demand of Pakistan, a separate homeland for the Muslims
captured the scene. The British announcement of the decision to quit
India by June 1948 had a disastrous effect on the situation in the
Punjab. Communal riots broke out in Lahore and spread even to rural areas.
There were signs of a full fledged civil war in the Punjab.

According to the British Plan of 3rd June 1947, it was decided to
partition both Bengal and the Punjab and the date of transfer of power
was advanced to 15th August, 1947. This led to an exodus of Hindus and
Sikhs from Lahore after a spate of bloody riots with untold suffering.
Muslims in the East Punjab suffered equally at the hands of Hindus and
Sikhs and had to leave their homes.

The Boundary Commission chaired by Sir C. Radcliffe gave its award and Lahore
went to Pakistan. From April - 1947 there was a concerted Muslim effort
to burn the Hindus and Sikhs out of Lahore city. The riots left a legacy of
hatred and mistrust and even the police force was communalised.

I have vivid memories of those terrible days when my parents were stuck
up in Lahore and there was looting and killing going on all over the
Punjab. The Partition claimed at least a million lives, while another ten
millions were uprooted from their ancestral homes. The extent and horror
of slaughter and destruction represents the greatest human tragedy of the
century.

We Lahorias had to pay a very heavy price for the freedom of India. Apart
from the loss of life and property we have to consider the psychological
effects of the Partition on the people of two countries. We Lahorias are
still groping for an identity and forced to make linguistic and social
adjustments. It was a heart rending experience to leave Lahore, the home
of our ancestors over the centuries, there was no one left now to look
back to. Lahore had Eminent writers of both India and Pakistan. They have
produced a vast amount of literature giving moving accounts of the human
suffering that accompanied the Partition. My emotional ties to the city
of my birth and upbringing have survived even after 50 years and
found expression in my book Lahore - A Sentimental Journey.

                     -- PRAN NEVILE, September 12, 1997

�

�

The abstract has also been posted at: