Temple architecture

Das Devaraj das at netcom.com
Tue Sep 9 23:19:30 UTC 1997

Had a question about which direction Shiva faces in a temple.
I was thinking that it could be any direction except North
(because of the name Daksinamurthi, would not want to face
the other way).

Anyway, somebody recently mentioned that in Chithamburam temple,
Shiva faces North (don't know this to be a fact).  Just now idly
thumped through a general book on temple architectures.  The
plans showed dieties facing all directions except North.  Another
reason not to face North (my guess), is that it will force
devotees to face South while praying.

Does anybody know whether Shiva can face North?  Or any reference
which discusses this specific issue?

das
Interested in Vegetarianism?             Vegetarian Restaurant Trek
Web    http://www.VegInfo.com                712 Bancroft Road #320
e-mail info at VegInfo.com (subject Help)       Walnut Creek, CA 94598
Interactive Voice/fax Response  (510) 256-8420                  USA