Dravidian Cryptography

S Krishna mahadevasiva at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 7 19:04:43 UTC 1997

>From: DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA <narayana at hd1.vsnl.net.in>

>At 06:04 AM 9/6/97 BST, D.kumar wrote:
>
>>The other Kannada word kanda, which is an inverted and substituted
form ofdinku, denotes: young child (DED. #1411), and Skanda or Muruga is
knwon asan young boy, young man, a boy god; and he is associated with
infants (AskoParpola; Deciphering the Indud Script;1994;p.225;
henceforth I shall refer to this work as: A.Parpola).

Devarakonda Venkata Narayana Sarma says:
>On the one hand it is claimed that `skanda' is the inverted/substituted
form of`dinkisu' (= leap). On the other hand it is claimed that`kanda'
which is the vikriti of `skanda' is the inverted/substituted form of
`dinku' (= child).How can a vikriti of one word which is a
inverted/substituted form of`dinkisu' be an inverted/ substituted form
of another word 'dinku'. One word
>should have only one origin.

I can't hunt up the exact reference here, but I do remember reading
somewhere that "skanda" is actually from tamil "kaNDa" i.e. the argument
was that skanda is the sansktirized form of "kaNDa" as opposed to
"kaNDa" being a vikrti/tadbhava form of "skanda". I think that this
theory is plausible because Murugan was originally a Dravidian diety
i.e. ancient Tamil poetry is full of references to him but AFAIK the
Vedas certainly donot talk about him and he appears in the rest of India
only much later( by the time of Kalidasa, he certainly became very
popular, but are there any copious references to him before that? I
dobut if we'd find copious references and even then, I don't think there
are as many as Tamil literature).

Regards,
Krishna