Tobacco

Lars Martin Fosse l.m.fosse at internet.no
Thu Sep 4 18:07:32 UTC 1997

>Did the Harappans smoke? If so, what did they smoke? Beedis, opium? Was
tobacco introduced to India by the Europeans?

>Thanks
>
>Poornima Kirloskar

Dear Poornima Kirloskar,

tobacco was introduced in Europe after the discovery of America. It is an
American plant and smoking is an American Indian custom. I doubt very much
that the Harappans smoked tobacco, whatever unhealthy habits they may have had.

At the same time, let me thank Dr. Houben for his introduction to Thadani's
work. This gives me an entirely new perspective on things. I never really
thought of K.r.s.na in that way. Indology at Western universities is really
so imperfect!

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse