The elephant's footprints

thompson at jlc.net thompson at jlc.net
Wed Sep 3 15:04:16 UTC 1997

This passage is also discussed by Jerome Bruner in his _Acts of Meaning_
[Cambridge MA 1991, p.150]. The source for this ref. to 'Sakuntala' is
David Shulman [in a personal communication cited by Bruner]. The exact
reference is Sak. 7.31.

The point of this passage seems to be that just as the elephant's footprint
is an index [a sign] of the elephant, so Sakuntala's ring is an index
[sign] of her, reminding DuSyanta of all that he had forgotten [see the
preceding stanza].

I am aware of two parallal passages from Buddhist sources. The first is the
well-known tale of the elephant and the blind men [UdAna 6.4.66-69]. The
second is a more closely related and more interesting passage from the
Milindapan~ha 5.24.4. Here Nagasena is attempting to persuade the sceptical
Milinda that the existence of the Buddha can be known "by means of
inference" [anumAna]:

"As men seeing the footprint of an elephant-king can judge by inference
'How great his size must be!' So when they see the footprint of the
elephant of men, the Buddha, the wise one, upon the path that men have
trod, they know by inference: 'How glorious the Buddha was!'"

This passage is discussed in _Indo-Iranian Journal_ 38, 1995 [pp.12-13].

Hope this helps,

George Thompson