Q: mArjArahatyA

RAH hueckst at cc.UManitoba.CA
Tue Sep 2 20:25:42 UTC 1997

(Now that we've beaten the dog to death, what about the cat?)

In a short story that is used by many of us Hindi teachers in the
intermediate level, "PrAya"scit" by Bhagavati Charan Varma, a cat is
apparently killed near the beginning of the story. The pandit, who is fat
and obviously trying to milk this one for all it's worth, tells the
guilty family that the killing of a cat is as bad as brahminicide. Did
he, or the Hindi author, just make that up? Is there a source for that in
nIti"sAstra or dharma"sAstra somewhere?

Gratefully,
Bob Hueckstedt

PS: I do remember asking this one before, but the members of the list
always change, so please forgive the repeat.
RAH

Robert A. Hueckstedt, Associate Professor of Indic Languages
Asian Studies Centre, 328 Fletcher Argue, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2 Canada
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/asian_studies
fax 1 204-261-4483 phones 1 204-474-8964, 1 204-488-4797