Ancient Indian Sciences

sudheer birodkar sudheer_birodkar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 06:02:35 UTC 1997

Dear List Members

Here goes a Sloka (couplet) from the Atharva Veda
(one of the 4 Vedas - treatises on knowledge from ancient India)
which embodies the true spirit of humanness expressed, not today,
but four thousand years ago.

We are the birds of the same nest,
We may wear different skins,
We may speak different languages,
We may believe in different religions,
We may belong to different cultures,
Yet we share the same home - OUR EARTH.

Born on the same planet
Covered by the same skies
Gazing at the same stars
Breathing the same air
We must learn to happily progress together
Or miserably perish together,
For man can live individually,
But can survive only collectively

It is this spirit of humanness that has been the undercurrent
of existence in a part of the world known as India.
This spirit has also prevailed  in many other parts of the world
where the right thinking of humankind has prevailed.

In India, this spirit has found expression in the philosophy
of non-violence, religious tolerance, renunciation - in non-temporal
matters. In temporal matters, which is the subject of this book,
it has found expression in achievements in all areas of science
and technology. Achievements which did not remain limited to
India alone, but were transmitted to many corners of our globe.

These achievements are not just a matter of pride for Indians
alone. They represent the triumph of the human mind and hence
are a matter of pride for the human species irrespective
of nationality.

For more info on the progress made in Science and Technology in the
period 1000 B.C. to 1000 A.D. in ancient India visit the REVISED web
edition of the book "India's Contribution to the World's Culture" at the
following free site:

"http://members.tripod.com/~sudbee/"

Regards

Sudheer