Atharva Veda info request

Swami Gitananda sg at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Oct 30 02:28:49 UTC 1997

> From my own observations, the Shaunaka branch of Atharva Veda is still
found in a few places, particularly Gokarna and Varanasi, but it's dying
fast. I have not been able to find any living representative of the
Pippalada, however.

Regards,
Swami Gitananda

----------
From:   Indology
Sent:   Wednesday, October 29, 1997 8:12 AM
To:     INTERNET:INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
Subject:        Re: Atharva Veda info request

hi all:
i apologise if this has been discussed before on this forum.

i am interested in LIVING TRADITIONS of the various vedas, particularly
the atharva veda.

i understand that the saunakiya atharva veda is extant among a few
scholars in saurashtra (Ref: Staal, F., AGNI, Berkeley, 1983), and in
his book "the vedas", the late paramacharya of the kanchi math,
chandrashekharendra saraswati states that many decades ago, when the
saunakiya atharva veda came to the attention of the kanchi math, he
arranged for students to proceed to saurashtra and learn and preserve
the atharva veda.

1. i wonder whether anyone is aware of the present status of the living
tradition of the saunakiya branch

furthermore, i understand that a tradition of paippaladas was discovered
in orissa in the 1960s.

2. does anyone know the status of this tradition?

regards
-ravi r. iyer