Urvashi Vaid.

Anshuman Pandey apandey at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Oct 22 08:53:01 UTC 1997

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Sn. Subrahmanya wrote:

> Anyway..There are numerous people who have given their lives for helping
> others. I would say the world is getting to be a really sorry place
> if the only qualification for Ms. Vaid to be considered a humanitarian is that
> she is gay ???????

Mr. Subrahmanya,

The world is getting to be a sorry place because people don't take the
time to educate themselves about certain issues before raising their voice
against them.

You might be unaware of the situation of homosexuals and homosexuality in
India, but India has one of the largest populations of homosexuals and is
host to perhaps the largest rampant AIDS epidemic. It is certainly amazing
that an Indian woman, a lesbian no less!, has worked to assist
homosexuals, assisted in AIDS education, AIDS prevention, and safer-sex
crusades. In my pettiness I would consider such actions to be humanitarian
ones.

I am sure that there is much more to Ms. Vaid's cause than merely being
lesbian and proud of it.

[Many pardons! This thread does not belong on Indology list. No flames,
intended. Thanks.]

Regards,
Anshuman Pandey