Tamil aaytam

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Fri Oct 17 13:54:44 UTC 1997

Dr. Iravatham Mahadevan will be the ideal choice to know about
aaytam in early tamil orthography. He can be reached at Institute
of Asian studies, Madras. I hear that he is writing a book on
early Tamil orthograpy. Atleast from I century BC, we have short
tamil inscriptions.  Tamil corpus of medieval inscriptions is quite
impressive.

Dr. S. Raju (Head, Dept. of epigraphy, Tamil university, Thanjavur
613005) and others will be able to tell about aaytam in medieval Tamil.

There are some papers on aaytam in World Tamil conf. proceedings.
May be somebody  under the guidance of Prof. V. I. Sunramoniam,
Univ. of Kerala or some other Indian university has an M.A., or
Ph.D thesis on aaytam?!

N. Ganesan