measures

jayabarathi jaybee at TM.NET.MY
Sat Oct 11 14:30:11 UTC 1997

At 01:32 AM 10/11/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Speaking of measures there is an anectode in which the word `ziva' is
>interpreted by the vaiSnvaiTe to mean a measure, to refute the
>argument of an opponent.
>zaivaite: zivAt parataram nAsti. (There is nobody greater than Lord Ziva)
>
>vaiSNavaiTe: drONamasti tatah param. ( Why, `drONa' is larger than it)
>`drONa' happens to be a larger measure of volume than `ziva'.
>;-)
>
>sarma.

        Namaskaar!

        The abovementioned story is attributed to Ramanuja's
        disciple.
        The ruling Imperial Chola was Kulottungga I. He was a
        very stong Saivite.
        He found that Ramanuja was getting popular with
        the people with his Bakti movement and the Philosophy
        of surrender to Vishnu.
        He summoned Ramanuja to his presence.
        Kurattalzvan was an ardent disciple of Ramanuja. Sensing that his
        Guru was facing danger at the hands of Kulottungga, he implored
        Ramanuja to escape to Mysore.
        He donned sanyasi's robes and with his companion, Periya Nambi,
        went to Kulottungga.
        Kulottungga put up the challenge, "Sivat parataram nasti"
        To which Kurattalzvan piped up, "Dronamasti tatahparam".
        The Chola put out the eyes of both of them. Periyanambi died.
        But Kurattalzvan lived to a ripe age.
        But Kulottungga died of a carbuncle on his neck.
        The Sri Vaishnavites consider it to be devine intervention.
        They named Kulotungga as "Kirumi Kanta Cholzan".

        Regards

        Jayabarathi
        Malaysia