Existence and its definition

Jeson Woo jwoo at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Thu Oct 9 04:43:42 UTC 1997

Dear members,

     The nature of existence (sattva) has been an important question in
Indian philosophy.  It has been a topic of heated debates between
different philosophical systems, such as the NyAya and the Buddhist
PramANa schools, which presented their own definition.  In the eleventh
century text KSaNabhGgasiddhi, the Buddhist philosopher RatnakIrti
introduced a list of the definition of existence: causal effectiveness
(arthakriyAkAritva), inherence of the universal reality (sattAsamavAya),
reality as specific nature (svarUpasattva), being subject to origination,
decay and stability (utpAdavyayadhrauvyayogitva), being the object of
valid cognition (pramANaviSayatva), being the object of valid cognition
which grasps something positive (sadupalambhakapramANagocaratva), and
being the object of designation (vyapadezaviSayatva).
   It seems to be clear that arthakriyAkAritva is the definition by the
Buddhist PramANa tradition; sattAsamavAya and svarUpasattva are by the
VaizeSikas; utpAdavyayadhrauvyayogitva is by Jains; and pramANaviSayatva
is by the PrAbhakara school.  I am now looking for which schools define
existence as sadupalambhakapramANagocaratva and vyapadezaviSayatva. If
somebody helps me with this, or if somebody informs me such a list of
definitions of existence in other texts, I would really appreciate it.

Jeson Woo
Dept. of Indian Philosophy
Hiroshima U.