trickster/shaman

John A Grimes grimesj at PILOT.MSU.EDU
Thu Oct 2 14:19:57 UTC 1997

Good morning,
   Would someone be able to send me to the appropriate sourcebook(s) for a
distinction made between a person who attempts to remove the mystery or
approach the mystery vis a vis:
   1) bowing to the mystery/worshipping it = shaman/priest
   2) overcoming the mystery by a frontal attack through one's own powers =
        trickster/hero

Also, are there other paradigms presented as viable solutions?
I recall Ninian Smart making the above distinciton but I can't find it now.
Was Van der Leeuw the first to make this distinction?

Thank you for any help you may provide.
John Grimes
MSU