chAndogya upaniSad 1.1.8 and 8.3.5

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Oct 2 08:29:14 UTC 1997

At 02:29 AM 10/2/97 -0400, S.Palaniappan writes:

>Verse 8.3.5 says, "tAni ha vA etAni trINy akSarANi sat-ti-yam iti; tad yat
>sat tad amRtam, atha yat ti tan martyam, atha yad yaM tenobhe yacchati yad
>anenobhe yacchati tasmAd yam, ahar ahar vA evaM  vit svargaM lokam eti."
>Radhakrishnan translates this as "Verily, these are the three syllables sat,
>ti, yam. The sat, that is the immortal. The ti, that is the mortal. The yam,
>with it one holds the two together. Because with it one holds the two
>together therefore it is yam. He who knows this goes day by day into the
>heavenly world."
>
>I was very surprised by the use of the form "sattiyam" to etymologize the
>word "satya". In Tamil, Sanskrit "satya" becomes "cattiyam" which is often
>pronounced as "sattiyam". If a modern Tamil speaker who is not aware of the
>Sanskrit source, is asked to etymologize the word, he will probably start
>with the same form. brhadAraNyaka upaniSad 5.5.1 uses "sa-ti-yam", a very
>similar form. Does the use of these Prakritized or Dravidianized forms to
>etymologize Sanskrit words imply that the authors' own mother tongue was
>Prakritic or that the Prakritic forms were very current or acceptable in
>UpaniSadic times?  Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards
>
>S. Palaniappan

In the Gita Press edition of Chandogya Upanishad the text is given as

        "tAni ha vA EtAni trINyakSarANi satIyamiti...."

Sankara comments

        "...trINyEtani satIyamiti sakArastakArO yamiticha. IkArastakAra uchchA-
raNArthO~nubandhah. hrasvEnaivAkSarENa punah pratinirdEzAt."

I am not able to locate the form sattiyam. Can you
please be more specific about the location.