Revision of the MBh files

Rolf Heiner Koch roheko at MSN.COM
Sun Nov 30 19:47:36 UTC 1997

I send you as an example the first book of your
Mahabharata edition along with a metrical analyze
long time ago. No answer ever I got so I stopped
this work which is based mainly on a small program
which I designed for a metrical analyze of the Mbh
Mfg RHK
roheko at msn.com

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Muneo TOKUNAGA
<g53772 at SAKURA.KUDPC.KYOTO-U.AC.JP>
An: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
<INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Datum: Sonntag, 30. November 1997 06:19
Betreff: Revision of the MBh files

> From Muneo Tokunaga,

Dear List Members,

After finishing my work on a new critical edition
of the
BRhaddevataa, which will be published in December
from
Kyoto, I want to come back to my work on epic
meters.

Last time I digitalized the whole texts of the
Mahaabhaarata
and the RaamaayaNa, which I suppose many of you
already have
in your disks, just for my own purposes, viz., for
metrical
analysis of the epic zlokas. the result of which
has been
published in Memoirs of the Faculty of Letters,
Kyoto
University, No.34 (1995). By demand from many
corners of the
world, however, I laid the files, though I knew
they were
not completely ready for everybody's use in many
points,
before the public a few years ago.

Since those files were prepared only for my own
purpose, I
did not take into consideration other usages than
my
metrical analysis, in transliterating the text.
Therefore the
files were not universally welcomed (partly due to
misunderstanding of the nature of my text).

My next plan of study is to analyze all the
TriSTubh verses
of the Mahaabhaarata, which will be more difficult
but also
more fascinating a job than working on zlokas. In
the course
of my analysis of TriSTubh verses, I intend to
make a total
revision and correction of the whole digitalized
text of the
Mahaabhaarata, reading the text to my ability.

This time I would like to invite beforehand from
users of
the epic files comment and advice as to the
preparation of a
new version of the epic files. Perhaps I cannot
satisfy all
your needs but I try to incorporate valuable
comment as much
as possible for the new edition of the files.  So
you are
welcome to send me directly or through Indology
your
suggestion on transliteration, etc. of the text.
(I will
consider any comment carefully but I cannot reply
to all of
you individually.)

I like computer and I cannot do my daily job with
digitalized files of Sanskrit texts. But I am
basically
printed-text-oriented. In other words, I am using
digitalized texts mainly as a tool for finding
word,
phrases, parallel passages, namely, as an Index. I
am not
interested in a file which replaces a printed
text. (I
always confirm the passage in the printed edition
after
checking a passage in a digitalized text.) I will
not change
this principle in the next version of the epic
files. Within
this condition, I welcome any comment or
suggestion from you
for the improvement of the digitalized text of the
Mahaabhaarata.

Hopefully, the job will take a year or so. As soon
as it is
done, I will hand them to Dr. Wujastyk for public
circulation.

                                   Muneo TOKUNAGA
                           Professor of Indian
Philosophy