Transliteration Standards

David R. Israel davidi at MAIL.WIZARD.NET
Fri Nov 21 16:43:20 UTC 1997

Indologers,

am here forwarding this post, for poss. interest (some might already
be well acquainted with what sounds like a large collective effort
toward global standardization of many transliteration systems?)

You'll note this post ultimately comes from Arabic-Info [?]
(via the Arabic-L list, via the Adabiyat listserv, via moi)

Note the existance (as described below) of:
 WG12: Transliteration of Indic scripts

Regarding the interesting chart of world script systems, a few notes.

Oddly, they've omitted Urdu (which would of course fall under the
Perso-Arabic line).  As for the large array of language scripts
traced to "BRAHMI" script, -- including Devanagari as well as a
variety of other Indic scripts (including Tamil & Telugu) -- is this
Brahmi some sort of proto-Sanskrit, or what? -- and are those So.
Indian lang. scripts really tracable to common roots along with Skt.?

Anyway, in case this isn't familiar, thought it could prove of some
interest to many here . . .

d.i.