Roman transliteration of Tamil n's

Kowshika Ramaprasad kvram at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 17 18:47:26 UTC 1997

>From:         S Krishna <mahadevasiva at HOTMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Roman transliteration of Tamil n's
>To:           INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
>
>With respect to the n-n2, r- R discussion, we have:
>Like Old Tamil,Old Telugu and Old Kannada also had two r's but in
>modern languages there is only one; the trill R merged with the flap
>r. Only Tamil scholars try to distinguish the two in reading.

> I have been told that the koDAgu dialect of kannaDa retains some of >
the features of archiac kannaDa; further it has also been influenced >
by malayALam....I therefore remember being told by somebody who was
> familiar(atleast to some extent) with the koDAgu dialect that the   >
locals retain the otherwise archiac difference in pronounciation of >
the _r & R.
> I believe that this may be correct since modern Malayalam retains
> thedifference, old kannaDa maintained the difference and by virtue
> of being related to both, koDAgu kannaDa does retin the difference. >
Can anybody please confirm this for me? It would also be interesting >
to see if tuLu retains the difference.....
>REgards,
>Krishna

   It is the "koDava" dialect of kodagu you are talking about. It does
   retain the two r's. koDava is having influence of both kannaDa
   and malayALam - yet remains as a seperate language. I do not know
   if you can call it as a dialect of kannaDa as koDava is not
   intelligible completely to kannaDa speaking people , although all
   koDavas can speak Kannada. Now Kodava is written in kannaDa script
   and there are news papers publushed too.

   My friend who speaks tuLu says there is no distinction of two r's
   in it.

   Ramaprasad K V