Etymon: paTTaN, pattan, patan

E. Bashir ebashir at UMICH.EDU
Mon Nov 17 12:54:32 UTC 1997

In Panjabi today pattaN means 'ford, place where a river can be crossed'.
Perhaps looking at other (apparent) reflexes in modern languages would be
relevant.

E. Bashir
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
3070 Frieze Bldg.
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Department Office Phone: (313) 764-8286 (messages only)
Personal Office Phone:  (313) 936-1847
Fax: (313) 647-0157
Note:  Area code changes to 734 effective 12/13/97