Roman transliteration of Tamil n's

Bh. Krishnamurti bhk at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri Nov 14 13:43:55 UTC 1997

Dental n alveolar n are members of the same phoneme. Only in a few cases of
contrast within Old Tamil they need to be marked separately as n and _n/n'.
For Proto-Dravidian reconstruction we need only one n. Then we have
retrroflex N and palatal ~n which must be marked separately.
Ganesan's postscript is confusing:
"PS: Of course, Tamil has three l's: l (dental), L (alveolar), z (retroflex)
     and two r's: r (alveolar) and R (retroflex)".
There are only two laterals l (alveolar) and L (retroflex); Z witten
differently  as _l  in Tamil Lexicon, r with two dots below by DEDR and as z
with subdot by many including me is a retoflex frictionless continuant
(similar to Midwestern American r). The two r's are: r= alveolar flap or
single tap; R/_r is an alveolar trill which developed from Proto-Dravidian
alveolar stop in the intervocalic position. Like Old Tamil,Old Telugu and
Old Kannada also had two r's but in modern languages there is only one; the
trill R merged with the flap r. Only Tamil scholars try to distinguish the
two in reading. In some cases older n_t became n_r in Old Tamil, Old Telugu,
and the other South-Central Dravidian languages,e.g. Old Tamil muunRu (mdn.
muuNN.u), Old Telugu muunRu, later muuNDu/muuDu, KonDa muunRi 'three'.
Bh.Krishnamurti.