IE & Semitic roots. Was: Script on excavated terracotta seals from Harappa deciphered????

Jacob Baltuch jacob.baltuch at EURONET.BE
Wed Nov 12 00:19:22 UTC 1997

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann wrote:

>Any opinion on where the concept of a grammatical verbal root appears first?

paaNini? (or one of his predecessors?) Interesting question. _I don't know_
but if I hear there was any explicit grammatical analytical thinking older
than Indian grammar I'll be _very_ intrigued as I've never heard of any such
thing before the Indians. Which is not to say that practical tools for scribes
such as wordlists, glossaries, lists of examples, etc. didn't exist at a more
ancient date in other cultures -- unless I'm mistaken I believe that much of
Sumerian was retrieved first based on such documents in Akkadian used by
Akka- dian scribes -- but Indian grammar takes it to a whole other level of
explicit
analysis. But to be absolutely sure one should probably run this question
by both an Assyriologist and an Egyptologist.