Tamil self-tuition course

GAIL COELHO gail at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Fri May 30 20:03:18 UTC 1997

If you want to learn Tamil, for use in conversation with people, I would
reccommend using "An intensive course in Tamil" by S. Rajaram, published
by the Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore - 570006, India. This
book teaches Spoken Tamil, unlike most books, which teach Literary Tamil.
The spelling of Tamil words is also modified to match (atleast
phonemically) the pronunciations of these words in actual speech. But if
you are learning Tamil for use in reading Tamil literature, then the more
traditional teaching courses should be better.  I don't have a list of
these books at the moment.

Gail Coelho.