Gestation (was re: mathematics etc.)

silk at wmich.edu silk at wmich.edu
Thu May 29 18:42:32 UTC 1997

I cannot answer Srini's good question about pre-conception development in
the father, but let me nip just one little thing in the bud right now.  The
is ABSOLUTELY NO connection between ancient "scientific" ideas, Indian or
otherwise, in this regard, and facts discovered microbiologically by modern
science.  If there are similarities they are entirely adventious. In other
words, even if it were the fact that sperm cells require 1 month to mature,
this would be nothing more than an interesting coincidence, and irrelevant
from a scientific point of view.

By the way, one expert on embryology in ancient India is R. P. Das; I do
not know if he uses email.

Jonathan Silk
SILK at wmich.edu