the gods

Hrid at aol.com Hrid at aol.com
Mon May 26 02:40:26 UTC 1997

George Thompson stated:
It seems to me that if a Vedic poet, say DIrghatamas, is capable of
>doubting the existence of Agni, among a number of other gods, then we
>should be able to be a little tolerant of Greg Downey's apparent doubts,
>especially since he hedges them with a parenthesis: "(for the sake of the
>argument)."
	If my comments were perceived as a personal criticism of Greg Downey, I
sincerely apologize. My point is simple and general: if any of us, including
Dirghatamas, states that a god exists or doesn't exist, we speak not as
"neutral" scholars but as metaphysicians. This alone was my argument.
Howard Resnick