Ganeshapurana

Srinivasan Pichumani srini at engin.umich.edu
Fri May 23 04:34:39 UTC 1997

> Can you really mean block-printed, or do you mean lithographed?  I wasn't
> aware of any block printing in the subcontinent (except for ornaments and
> illustrations).
>
> Allen Thrasher

Even the earliest book printed in Indic characters,
"Doctrina christam en lingua malauar tamul" (Tamil
title - tampirAn vaNakkam), a 16 page publication
from Quilon dated 20.2.1577, seems to have had block-
printing only for the illustration... not surprising
since it is almost a century after Gutenberg... this
book is in the Houghton library at Harvard.

-Srini.