block-printed books

bpj at netg.se bpj at netg.se
Thu May 22 21:37:10 UTC 1997

At 12:30 22.5.1997 +0100, Madhav Deshpande wrote:
>Folks,
>        I deleted the question concerning manuscripts of the Ganeshpurana,
>but remember that the message mentioned three printed editions now being
>used as sources.  I wonder if these three include an old block-printed
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>edition from Pune published in the year 1798 (Shaka era), 1876 AD?  I have
>a copy of this edition in my personal collection, but it may be available
>elsewhere.
>        All the best,
>                                        Madhav Deshpande

I didn't know that blockprinting of books was employed in India. Are these
books similar to Tibetan blockprinted books, and if so is there any actual
technical historical connection? One always hears that the Tibetans learned
blockprinting from China, and from what I've been able to gather the
technique used in Tibetan and Korean blockprinting is identical, which
should indicate a Chinese origin.

Philip

|| Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha ||

*  B.Philip Jonsson <bpj at netg.se>               *
*  Editor, Translator (English <-> Swedish),    *
*  Scholarly font-designer, Web-book designer   *