H-ASIA: Q. Peacock throne and huma bird

Allen Thrasher athr at loc.gov
Mon May 19 20:09:21 UTC 1997

Can anyone tell when the idea that the huma never alights appears?  Europe
had the notion that the Birds of Paradise (found in New Guinea), and it
acquired this idea because the feet were removed from the skins that were
sent back from New Guinea.  I presume the idea therefore is after Columbus
and Da Gama.  Could the idea the Islamic huma never ceases flying
therefore come from Europe, or from the Birds of Pariadise skins?

Also, I own a twentieth century miniature from Jammu and Kashmir of Vishnu
on his bird vehicle Garuda in which Garuda has no legs.  I have never seen
another on which this is true.  Has anyone else?  Garuda _is_
traditionally depicted as alighting, e.g. in the Mahabharata.

Allen W. Thrasher

The opinions expressed do not represent those of my employer.