VarNa and colour

Peter J. Claus pclaus at haywire.csuhayward.edu
Fri May 16 13:39:07 UTC 1997

Mikael Aktor provides a very useful review of the some of the literature
which deals with the relationship between varna and color. I certainly
would not discount popular interpretations, but it IS unfortunate that
scholars have not been very precise as to what source they see as
legitimating a claim. I would imagine that there are conflicting sources
in standard and classical (whatever that may mean) references. There are,
incidentally, a number of caste puranas in the non-Brahman oral tradition
(which sometimes make it into the literary tradition under certain
circumstances) which speak of more than 4 varnas (16 is a frequent number)
and I don't think (indeed, I can't even imagine!) these are color-coded.
So there doesn't seem to be any necessary relationship between varna and
color-scheme even in the most popular traditions.

However, that doesn't mean that where it DOES occur (co-occur) it is not
interesting. I would still like to hear of such sources.  Doesn't the
Bhagavat Gita have a section on this, eg.?

Peter Claus