hair's colour in sanskrit

Lars Martin Fosse l.m.fosse at internet.no
Mon May 12 15:36:35 UTC 1997

Allen Thrasher wrote:

>On Fri, 9 May 1997, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:
>>
>> There is a similar problem with Greek colours. The only way to know, is when
>> colour terms are referred to natural phenomena that haven't changed since
>> ancient times. E.g. white may be referred to the egg of a hen, red to a
>> given kind of red berries, brown to soil etc.
>
>Brown referring to soil is a much less felicitous example than the other
>two.  Soils can also be (in American English) black, yellow, etc.  In much
>of my state of Virginia it is a beautiful red.  And in countries which
>have undergone intensive agriculture for many centuries one can't assume
>the soil's color is the same as it was in the time of some classic
>literature.

Thanks for a useful and apt comment! I should have known better, having
flown over Australia and admired the fascinating reddish colour of that
continent. But apart from my soiled gaffe here, I think the principle works.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,