hair's colour in Sanskrit

Lars Martin Fosse l.m.fosse at internet.no
Thu May 8 16:11:32 UTC 1997

>Parents know that a darker skinned girl will not be treated as well by her
>inlaws (unless of course, they are even darker than she is).  Discimination
>on the basis of color seems, unfortunately, fairly universal (except
>amongst African tribes perhaps?).

I have been told by reliable sources that Amharis (who are
chokolate-coloured) look down upon the blacker Sudanese, who are regarded as
inferior. In Norway the Amharis suffer the misfortune of being regarded by
Norwegians as "negros", which apparently is a bitter pill to swallow.

As these stories appear on my screen, the sheer folly of racial prejudices
becomes apparent. If you manage to forget the suffering that invariably go
with them, they are always absurd and ridiculous, sometimes hilarious. Man
is a hierarchical animal, but there should be limits to the ways and means
used.......

>Remember, "only mad dogs and English men"!  Even after 23 years in the US,
>I still instinctively avoid basking in the sun.  Besides, I know, that even
>today, if I traveled 50 miles away from the city, I would have trouble if I
>"tanned" further.  Indians are definitely very sensitive to nuances in skin
>color.  But here in the United States "color" is an indication of race, and
>is equated with lack of intelligence and poor social status.

I suppose this is the ultimate absurdity: Millions of white people spending
hours in the sun (and often rather a lot of money to get to a sunny place,
as we do here in Scandinavia) in order to look like someone they would
despise if s/he where born with the skin colour they strive to obtain.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse
a born mleccha