hair's colour in sanskrit

Allen Thrasher athr at loc.gov
Wed May 7 20:28:26 UTC 1997

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:
 But hair colour? I think that
> may very well be a Western obsession. Here in Norway, we bewail our fate if
> we are so unlucky as to have "municipality-coloured hair" (a particularly
> lack-lustre shade of light brown), whereas golden, blonde hair, or deep
> brown or jet black are hair colours you can show off to the world.

Could "municipality-colored" be anything like what in the US we call
"dirty blonde?"  Or is it paler?  As I use it, "dirty blonde" refers or at
least can refer to a blonde shading into brown, somewhat like the color of
brass, though I guess I also use it for something paler than brass.

Allen W. Thrasher

The opinions expressed do not represent those of my employer.